Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Warning: Hot Dogs=Danger!

Did you know that 100 kids die in the U.S every year from choking?

*I thought that my Daylan was about to be one of those statistics last night. We were celebrating the Birthday of our sweet Emmie who passed away this last year. The kids were anxious to hurry & eat so they could run back out & play with cousins. As we began eating dinner I hear this choking noise. I run over to a panicking Daylan. He throws up a couple times & yet still is struggling to breathe. He was getting some oxygen but not much. I tried doing the Heimlich Maneuver a few times with no luck. Daylan was jumping up & down and trying to do whatever he could.


*Everything moved in slow motion and after a minute or two or three, (felt like an hour) I began to panic. Uncle Jason stepped in & had no luck with the Heimlich Maneuver either. I thought: "This can not be happening!" Daylan turned more pale by the second and his lips more blue. I yelled out "Someone just Call 911-this isn't working!"


*Right then Jason stuck his finger down Day's throat and out popped this ridiculous sized piece of hot dog-the exact circumference of his esophagus. (They just happened to be extra large hot dogs!) I think maybe the Heimlich really had helped get it up high enough to grab out. I hugged Daylan tight and had to go sit down since I was shaking with fright. {I woke up in the night thinking of the look on Daylan's face when it was happening and couldn't get back to sleep...so scary!}

**I will never look at a hot dog the same again.**
*Here CBS' Early Show tells of how a 4 yr old boy who choked to death on a hot dog!
When I saw this design of a hot dog I thought it was a great idea!
You know that's why Life Savers were created right?...
So kids could have hard candies & if they choked they would still have air with the hole in the middle.

*Here is a Conversation among Moms about the hot dog safety dilemma where people argue whether or not hot dog makers should be forced to reconfigure their hot dogs. I believe it's America and they shouldn't be that regulated, BUT all I know is that if there were hot dogs cut more safely like this, there would be a bazillion moms that would buy them.
Including=

14 comments:

Raich said...

Im a pretty lax mom and not very paranoid but choking is scary! I had to call 911 when my nephew choked on a grape. We finally got it out right before the paramedics got there but I was still a little traumatized. I agree that hot dogs shouldn't be regulated but moms would love the option of buying something premade that would make it a little easier. I'll never forget Stephanie's dum dum story either.

Frolicking Night Owl said...

Molly swallowed a "penny" last week. (don't know if it was actually a penny) SHe was in bed for the night & started crying. When I asked what was wrong, she told me she put a penny in her tummy. If she would've choked on it, we probably wouldn't have heard her. Thank goodness for angels!! :)

Chelsea and Fernando said...

that is crazy, im taking cpr/first aid right now in school and i still think i would freak out if my little man was choking! im so glad he's ok! xoxox

Ezra, Kian & Eden said...

Oh my that is scary! I'm sorry you had to experience that Audra! How awful to watch your child struggling like that!!!!!
I am beyond happy that Daylan is okay and that everything worked out all right.
I've heard about hot dogs being dangerous in the choking department but have never actually heard of anyone having troubles. I will never look at a hotdog the same way!

venessa said...

So scary, glad he is OK and Jason was persistent. Loves to your family!

Heather Jeppsen said...

So scary. Glad things turned out the way it did. That's why my kids don't get hard candy if I have a say.

Jessica said...

Okay, that is the scariest thing ever! I have had choking kids, but haven't yet had to try the Heimlich and hope that I never will. I am so glad that Daylan is okay.

Tiffany said...

That was so scary!! As I think back at last night, it reminds me how Jason used to always be the one to step in when Emmie was in trouble or not breathing right. I was the one who froze!!
When you guys were leaving he told Day to not eat another hot dog unless he was around! LOL!
I'm so grateful Day is ok.... that was so scary. It felt like we were in slow motion! Love you guys!

Tracey said...

That was so so scary! I am so glad uncle Jason jumped in and saved the day. What a lucky little boy... who I know was being watched over!

Let's just say, another TENDER MERCY!
Love you Audra

The Richins Family said...

Wow, that's scary. I am glad that he is okay. You have an amazing supportive family that helps out when needed.
Sorry you had a nightmare.

Kristal said...

Holy crap Audra! I remember Jaden choked on hot dogs a few times, and it messed me up for a while, so I never let my little little kids have hot dogs. Seriously it's like a weapon, the size and shape. So glad Uncle Jason got it out.

Stephanie said...

scary!

The Hann Family said...

So scary! I am so paranoid about the kids choking and always cute their hotdogs in half and then in little pieces. Glad everyone is okay. Your family pictures are beautiful!

alison said...

Oh my gosh, I am so glad he is ok, I feel your pain, a few years ago kenz choked on a hard candy and couldn't get air and turned blue and heimleich seemed to take forever to work, the look on her face was soooooo frightening. It happened the night of her Christmas performance at Desert Voices. I had to get on the stage with my toddler class moments after it happened. It was so hard trying to get them to sing their snowman song and say their lines as I was trying to stop crying, ughh, so glad a tradgedy was avoided for you. You will never forget that night I am sure. Love you!